Are you struggling to afford nutritious food for your family in Little Rock? The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps, can help. SNAP provides monthly funds on an EBT card to buy groceries and essential food items. This guide will explain how to apply for SNAP benefits in Pulaski County and make the most of the program to get enough food to feed your household.
What Exactly are SNAP Food Stamp Benefits?
SNAP benefits give qualifying low-income families a food budget each month. The funds are electronically deposited on an EBT card. This works like a debit card to purchase food at major supermarkets, local retailers, farmers markets, and other stores accepting EBT (electronic benefits transfer cards).
The SNAP program (formerly known as food stamps) aims to alleviate food insecurity and is administered in Arkansas by the Department of Human Services (DHS). Benefits help families shop for nourishment without breaking their budget.
Who's Eligible for Food Stamps in Arkansas?
To receive SNAP in Arkansas, your household must meet certain eligibility criteria including:
- Income Limits - Your gross monthly income must fall under thresholds based on the number of people in your household. For example, the limit for a family of 3 is $2,353 per month.
- Asset Limits - Countable liquid resources like cash or money in bank accounts must be under $2,250, or $3,500 with an elderly or disabled member.
- Residency - You must reside in the state of Arkansas.
- Citizenship - Recipients must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.
- Work Rules - Able-bodied adults without dependents must work or train 20 hours per week. Exceptions apply.
How Do I Apply for SNAP Benefits in Little Rock?
There are a few ways to submit an application for the food stamp program and benefits in Pulaski County:
- Online - You can complete the application through the Arkansas Department of Human Services website.
- In Person - Visit your nearest DHS office location in Little Rock. Use the office locator to find the closest one.
- Phone - Call 1-800-482-8988 to apply for SNAP benefits over the phone.
- Mail - Print and mail in a paper SNAP application to your county DHS office.
Be prepared to provide documents like pay stubs, bills, and ID to verify eligibility. It takes 30 days or less to process, with expedited processing available for those in urgent need.
Where Can I Use Food Stamps in Little Rock?
Your EBT card can be used to purchase SNAP-eligible foods at major supermarkets like Kroger, Harps, Walmart, and Aldi in Little Rock. Many local food retailers, corner stores, farmers markets, and online grocers now accept EBT payments for eligible food items as well.
Search for locations near you that take EBT using the USDA SNAP retailer locator. You can also contact local food pantries and soup kitchens that provide groceries to those in need.
Stretching Your Food Stamp Benefits in Pulaski County
Making your SNAP and food assistance benefits last all month can take planning. Here are some tips:
- Attend SNAP-Ed nutrition classes that provide budget-friendly cooking tips.
- Use coupons and shop sales carefully.
- Buy in bulk on key staples when costs are lower.
- Look for discounts using your EBT card at certain restaurants, stores, zoos and more.
- Participate in the Double Up Food Bucks program to double your SNAP spending on produce.
Get FREE Cell Phone Service with Your Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Benefits
Did you know you can qualify for discounted or even free cell phone service just by being enrolled in the SNAP program?
The Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Programs are government benefit programs that provide reduced cost or free home internet and cell phone service to low-income households.
Join the EASY Wireless Family
You can enroll for Lifeline and ACP benefits with EASY Wireless.
EASY Wireless is a National Wireless Provider serving the Lifeline and ACP community for over 20 years. We use the same National tower network as the big carriers but without the big carrier monthly cell phone bills.
Whenyou qualify for Lifeline and ACP with us, you'll receive:
EASY Wireless Free Unlimited Plan
Combine your Lifeline Program and ACP Benefits to receive:
- FREE Smartphone*
- FREE UNLIMITED Data & Hotspot
- FREE Unlimited Talk
- FREE Unlimited Text
- Choose to Keep Your Number or Get a New One
- FREE SIM Card & Activation
*Smartphone available when you apply in person at one of our retail or mobile locations in Arkansas.
Apply in only minutes through our convenient online portal. Qualify and we'll ship your Unlimited SIM Card Kit right to your door, free-of-charge!
Start Saving Today!
Visit a Retail Location
Come into One of Our Retail Stores in Arkansas and let one of our expert customer service representatives qualify and enroll you in service. Leave the same day with FREE service and a new smartphone.
Then be sure to ask them about our EASY Rewards Program and how it can get you a new UPGRADED smartphone.
Additional Benefits for SNAP Program Recipients
Free Admission to Museums and Zoos in Arkansas
The Museums for All Initiative provides EBT/SNAP holders with free admission for family members to participating museums and zoos across the country including Arkansas. Families can explore the fascinating wildlife, learn about Arkansas’s history and culture, and much more.
Apply for Essential Food Stamps in Little Rock Today
Don't let a lack of grocery funds put your household's food budget or your family's health and nutrition at risk. Apply for SNAP benefits in Pulaski County to gain access to food stamps each month. You can then use your EBT card at local stores and markets to feed your household. Follow this guide to qualify, enroll, and maximize food stamps so your family doesn't go hungry.