Road tripping in Oklahoma and need ideas for places to explore in Durant? With its storied past and fascinating attractions, this southeastern Oklahoma town has plenty to keep you busy. In this blog post, we're highlighting can't-miss activities, attractions, and eateries.
From the Three Valley Museum to the Fort Washita historic site, you're going to discover memorable ways to experience this town's French-Choctaw origin and culture, nature, and entertainment. Whether you want to walk trails by Lake Texoma or relax at the Durant country club, there're plenty of engaging options for the whole family. Keep reading for the scoop on the best things to do in Durant, Oklahoma.
Outdoor Adventures: Hiking, Fishing, and More
Located in Bryan County, Durant has no shortage of ways to get outside and enjoy nature.
- For hiking, check out the Durant Nature Preserve Border Loop Trail with miles of trails to explore.
- If fishing is your thing, head to Lake Texoma, one of the largest reservoirs in the U.S. Known as the "Striper Capital of the World," you can catch striped bass, catfish, crappie and more. Book a guided fishing tour or rent a boat to find the best spots.
- For outdoor fun on wheels, the Blue River RV is a popular RV destination for good reason. Give mountain biking or camping a go with over miles of landscape to conquer.
- Want to get up high? Check out the Meers Bridge, Oklahoma's only natural scenic area. You can rock climb the granite cliffs and boulders, with routes ranging from beginner to world-class advanced. There's also zip lining, rope courses and a 65-foot free fall for thrill seekers.
Whether you want to push your limits or just enjoy a casual stroll outside, Durant's natural surroundings offer limitless ways to experience the great outdoors. Go out there and explore what this city offers!
Family Time: Parks, Museums, and Entertainment
Searching for some fun activities the whole family will enjoy? Durant has you covered.
Choctaw Casino & Resort
Not to be confused with Choctaw cultural center, this massive casino resort has something for everyone. Kids will love the pools, arcade, bowling alley, and movie theater. Adults can try their luck at the slots or poker tables. And the resort offers several dining options, live shows, and a spa.
Lake Texoma State Park
Just minutes from downtown, Lake Texoma State Park offers scenic natural surroundings and outdoor recreation galore. Go boating, fishing, camping, hiking or enjoy a picnic in the park. The park also has playgrounds, beaches and hosts special events.
For a dose of culture, catch a show at the Armstrong Auditorium. This world-class performing arts center hosts Broadway tours, comedians, music acts and more. Kids will especially love their family series with shows like Sesame Street Live.
Durant Area Chamber of Commerce
Check with the Durant Chamber of Commerce to find out about other local events like festivals, sporting events or outdoor activities going on during your visit. From rodeos to fairgrounds, there’s usually something fun happening in Durant, especially in the spring and summer.
With attractions ranging from the great outdoors to glitzy casinos, Durant has everything you need for a fun family getaway. Your crew could make memories that last a lifetime.
Arts Scene: Music, Theater, and Art
Home to Southeastern Oklahoma State University, Durant has a thriving arts and student arts community with opportunities for music, theater, and art lovers alike.
The Choctaw Casino Resort regularly features major country, rock, and pop artists on their stage. For a more intimate show, check out Melody’s Coffeehouse or the Mercury Lounge, which showcase up and coming singer-songwriters and Indie bands.
Support the Durant Arts & Cultural Foundation at the historic Armstrong Auditorium. They put on several musicals and plays each year like “The Wizard of Oz,” “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “Steel Magnolias.”
Galleries and Public Art
Take a walk around downtown to view sculptures, murals, and art. The Durant Area Arts Council sponsors the “Outdoor Gallery” with many pieces on display year-round. Visit art galleries like Studio 8 and check out the latest exhibits of paintings such as Magnolia Mile Art Alley on Main Street.
Whether you’re looking to experience the musical and theatrical talents of Durant locals, discover some up and coming musicians, or simply enjoy creativity on display, Durant’s arts scene has lots to offer for an inspiring and entertaining day or night out. Supporting the arts is a great way to get involved in the community and meet other art enthusiasts. Check the event calendars and go explore!
Best Hotels in Durant
When you're visiting Durant, you're going to want to find comfortable lodging after a long day exploring all the city has to offer. Here are some of the top hotels in Durant perfect for your getaway:
- Holiday Inn express is conveniently located right off Highway 69/75, just a short drive from Lake Texoma and Choctaw Casino. Standard rooms offer free Wi-Fi, microwaves, mini-fridges and Keurig coffee makers. Take advantage of their outdoor pool and hot tub to unwind, or get your workout in at their 24-hour fitness center.
- For a luxury stay, book a room at the Choctaw Casino Resort. This massive hotel complex features over 3,000 slot machines, poker and blackjack tables, an indoor pool, spa, salon and 10 restaurants. Deluxe rooms provide premium amenities like marble bathrooms, designer toiletries and pillow-top mattresses. The Choctaw is an ideal choice if you want to experience all the excitement of the casino during your trip.
- The Durant Inn & Suites offers clean, comfortable rooms and suites at budget-friendly prices. All rooms come equipped with free high-speed internet, microwaves, refrigerators, and generously sized flat screen televisions. Take a dip in their outdoor pool and hot tub, then head to their on-site restaurant for casual American fare and daily drink specials. The Durant Inn & Suites provides solid value for travelers on a budget.
- For a quieter stay surrounded by nature, book a cabin at the Cedar View RV Park. Their secluded cabins feature full kitchens, picnic tables, grills and campfire pits. You’ll have access to their playgrounds, volleyball court, horseshoe pits and scenic hiking trails. Cedar Canyon Lodge is perfect for a relaxing family getaway or romantic escape in a peaceful, wooded setting.
Whatever your needs or wants, Durant has accommodation options to suit any traveler. Have a great trip and enjoy your stay in a great hotel!
Visiting Durant? Apply to EASY Wireless' FREE Phone Plan!
If you're reading this blog, you're likely visiting Durant OK. Hopefully you found some interesting things to do from this. But what about something even more exciting? Like receiving a FREE Phone!
Partnering with programs such as Lifeline & ACP, we're offering FREE phones with data to eligible individuals just like yourself. Whether you need to keep in touch with friends & family or you want to just save money on your current plan, here's what we're offering:
EASY Wireless Unlimited Plan
- FREE Unlimited Data
- FREE Unlimited Talk
- FREE Unlimited Text
- FREE SIM Card Kit and Activation
- Choose to Keep Your Number or Get a New One
To start with EASY Wireless, apply online by clicking the below:
Start Saving Today!
Or you can come to one of the EASY Wireless's retail stores, where our customer service agent will help you apply for your benefits.