Supplemental Security Income (SSI) provides monthly cash assistance to Lawton residents who are disabled, blind, or aged 65 and older with limited income and resources. If you are facing challenges that prevent substantial work, SSI can offer financial relief to help meet basic needs.
This guide explains SSI eligibility, how to apply through the Lawton Social Security office, and additional resources for those who qualify for Social Security benefits.
What is Supplemental Security Income?
SSI is a Federal program overseen by the Social Security Administration (SSA) that distributes monthly payments to aged, blind, and disabled individuals with very low incomes.
To qualify for SSI in Oklahoma, your income and assets must fall under strict limits. Additionally, disabilities must prevent any substantial gainful work activity for a period expected to last at least 12 months.
SSI aims to help those who have no other means to afford basic food, clothing, and shelter. Approved recipients get cash assistance deposited monthly into a bank account or SSI debit card.
SSI Eligibility Requirements in Lawton, Oklahoma
To receive SSI benefits, you must meet the following criteria:
- Age 65 or older, or blind, or disabled
- U.S. citizens or those with eligible noncitizen status
- Oklahoma resident
- Income under program limits
- Resources below $2,000 for individuals, $3,000 for couples
- Disability expected to last one year or result in death
Your living arrangements can also impact eligibility and payment amounts. Call the SSA for specifics on qualifying.
How Much Are SSI Payments in Oklahoma?
SSI recipients get a federal benefit rate (FBR) based on living situations:
- Living independently - $914/month
- Living in another's household - $458/month
- Both SSI recipients - $1,371/month
- One SSI recipient - $914/month
These rates apply for 2023 and increase yearly with inflation. Some recipients may get a small state supplement as well.
Higher living expenses in certain areas could mean you qualify for a larger FBR.
Where to Apply for SSI in Lawton, OK
You can start your SSI application in three ways:
Visit www.ssa.gov and click on "Apply for Disability" to complete the process through your my Social Security account. Completing an online application is the fastest way to receive your benefits. You will also be able to track your application status through your account.
In Person at the Lawton Social Security Office
Visit the local Social Security office in Lawton at 1610 SW Lee Blvd, Lawton, OK 73501. Staff will be able to assist you in the disability application process and let you know what documents to bring.
Call 1-866-931-2732 to set up an appointment.
Call the Social Security Administration Office
– Call 1-800-772-1213 between 8 am – 7 pm Monday to Friday to begin your application over the phone.
When applying for disability benefits, be prepared to provide personal information like your Social Security number, birth certificate, income statements, medical records, and details on resources.
If approved, SSI benefits can begin as early as the first full month after submitting your claim.
After You've Applied for SSI in Lawton, OK
Once you submit your SSI application, here is what to expect:
- It takes 3-5 months to get a decision on your claim. Ensure you respond to all SSA requests promptly.
- If approved, you'll receive SSI monthly via direct deposit or debit card. Payments are made on the 1st of each month.
- If denied, you can appeal within 60 days and request reconsideration.
- Reevaluate your living situation, income, and medical status if anything changes. Report updates to the SSA.
- Recertify eligibility whenever SSA requests (usually annually) to keep receiving benefits.
While your application is pending, search for community resources like food pantries, bills assistance offices, and low cost or free medical clinics.
Reaching out to local nonprofits can help you get through this period until you gain access to SSI's monthly cash payments.
You can locate
Additional Assistance Available with SSI
Along with the monthly cash benefit, those who qualify for SSI often gain access to other helpful programs, including:
- SNAP - Formerly food stamps, this offers funds each month to buy groceries.
- Medicaid - Provides health insurance for low-income households.
- Medicare - Available after receiving SSDI for 24 months.
- LIHEAP - Helps pay heating and cooling bills.
- Public housing - Offers subsidized rental units.
- Lifeline and ACP - Provides discounts on phone and broadband bills every month.
Make sure to explore and then apply online for any supplemental assistance you may be entitled to based on SSI eligibility. Every little bit helps when money is extremely tight.
Get FREE Cell Service with Lifeline & EASY Wireless
One valuable benefit you gain with SSI is eligibility for the Lifeline program, which offers up to $9.25 off phone or internet service. This discount can really add up over the course of a year.
An even better option is to enroll with EASY Wireless, a wireless cell phone service provider with over 20 years of helping the community, and get completely FREE cell phone service when you qualify for both Lifeline and the Affordable Connectivity Program.
With FREE wireless service, you can stay connected to social services, healthcare, jobs, and family without cell costs weighing down your limited budget.
Apply and Qualify Today!
To find out if you qualify, just fill out your email and zip code in the box below, click "Enroll Now" to get started.
It only takes a few minutes to see if you are approved for FREE Monthly Cell Phone Service from EASY Wireless.
Start Saving Today!
Visit One of Our Retail Stores in Oklahoma
Come by one of our 30+ retail stores throughout Oklahoma and let one of our enrollment specialists get you connected with FREE cell phone and data service.
We also offer pre-paid plans with some of the best rates in the country plus a variety of discounted upgraded phones and accessories!
Reduce Your Financial Burden
Applying for SSI opens the door to not only monthly cash assistance but also supplemental supports like discounted connectivity. Take advantage of these resources available to Lawton residents facing financial hardship.