So you’ve moved into your new place and the reality has set in: you need some furniture. I mean, a bed to sleep on and a place to sit would be nice. But who has money for that after paying first and last month’s rent? The good news is, from furniture banks to online resources, there are lots of ways to score free furniture online.
Whether you’re willing to put in some elbow grease to pick up and refinish pieces or prefer gently used items ready to move in, you can furnish your space without emptying your wallet. in this blog post, we're going to explore some of the best online sources for free furniture to help you settle into your new spot in style. Why walk around for hours looking in thrift stores or your local furniture bank when everything you need is right at your fingertips?
Check Craigslist For Free Stuff
When looking for free furniture online, a great place to check first is Craigslist. Craigslist is a goldmine for cheap or free home goods, especially furniture. People are always moving and looking to unload extra pieces they no longer want. Typically when people move, they are more worried about the hassle of selling their stuff than what money they could get for it. So getting a good deal on these sites, or even scoring free furniture is almost guaranteed.
It's important to keep checking frequently and contacting sellers quickly.Set up alerts for new listings with keywords like “free sofa,” “dining table,” or “bookcase.” As soon as you get an alert, message the seller expressing your interest. Be friendly yet concise, mentioning you have a truck available to pick up the item. Get the details on item condition and measurements to make sure it’s right for your space.
Browse Facebook Marketplace for Freebies
Didn't find anything on Craigslist? Don't worry -- other sites, such as Facebook Marketplace also provide free or low-cost furniture. Like Craigslist, People are always using Facebook Marketplace to give away dressers, bookshelves, tables, chairs, and more that they no longer need but are still in good shape.
If you want to find things quickly, set the filters to show only free items in a max price range of $0 to $10 within 10-35 miles of your location, or however far you're willing to travel. Save searches for items people are frequently searching for, like “dresser” or “coffee table.” You’ll get notifications when new matches pop up.
Buying Your Furniture on Facebook Marketplace
Once you spot some promising picks, send a message to the seller right away expressing your interest. Be friendly in your communication and willing to pick up the item as soon as possible. Lots of free items go fast, so the quicker you can grab it the better! Some tips:
- Check the item condition and dimensions to make sure it will suit your needs before driving over to get it.
- Bring a friend to help load larger furniture into your vehicle.
- Be prepared to haul away the item yourself the same day you claim it.
- Leave a positive review for the seller to show your appreciation for the free find!
Search OfferUp for Free Furniture Finds
While not quite as well known as sites like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, another great place to find free furniture near your home is OfferUp. This mobile marketplace app allows people in your local community to sell items they no longer need.
When you spot something promising in the listings, contact the seller right away. If the items is free, it's likely to go fast! Ask for photos of the furniture so you know the condition and whether it will suit your needs. Then arrange a time to pick up the pieces in person. Some tips for finding the best free scores on OfferUp:
- Find whatever you're needing using the search bar. Check often, as new free or cheap furniture is listed daily.
- Set alerts for keywords like “free sofa,” “dining table,” or “bookshelf” so you get notified when listings that match appear.
- Check the “Curb alert” filter to find discarded furniture left on the curb for the taking.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate — even though the furniture is free, you can still ask the seller if they’re willing to help load it into your vehicle. The worst they can say is no!
Look on Freecycle for Free Furnishings
Last but not least, Freecycle is a grassroots movement, almost like an online forum of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Interested? Check your local Freecycle group to keep finding free furniture listings in your area.
To score free furnishings on Freecycle:
- Find your local Freecycle group. Most areas have an active group. Search online for ‘(your town) Freecycle’ to locate yours.
- Join Freecycle. Sign up on the Freecycle website or Yahoo Groups to become a member. All you need is an email address.
- Check the ‘Offered’ listings frequently. Members will post items they want to give away for free. New listings appear throughout the day, so it's good to visit often.
- Be one of the first to respond to a listing you're interested in. These freebies often go fast, so reply promptly to have the best chance.
Looking For Free Furniture? How About a FREE Phone?
Since you're likely here to get free furniture, we thought you could be interested in EASY Wireless' free phone plans. That's right -- aiming to help low-income families and individuals gain access to affordable connectivity, we offer free phones with data to eligible individuals, all you have to do is apply.
With the money you save by kicking your phone bill to the curb, think of all the furniture you will find! And by using our free furniture resources in this blog, you get to save even more! So once you apply, what exactly do you receive?
What Benefits Do You Get With EASY Wireless?
Upon qualifying for one of the programs above with EASY Wireless, you will receive the following benefits:
EASY Wireless Unlimited Plan
- FREE Unlimited Data
- FREE Unlimited Talk
- FREE Unlimited Text
- FREE SIM Car Kit and Activation
- Choose to Keep Your Number or Get a New One
How do I Apply For EASY Wireless Benefits?
To get started with EASY Wireless, apply online by clicking the below:
Start Saving Today!
Or you can come to one of the EASY Wireless's retail stores, where our customer service agent will help you apply for the benefits.
Either way, the first step is to provide proof of identity with a government-issued ID. This is so you can confirm your participation in one of the qualifying programs or that you meet the household income requirement.
We accept the following U.S. Government Issued ID:
- U.S. Driver License
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Government, State or Tribal issued-ID
- U.S. Military ID cards
- Permanent Resident Cards
- Permanent Resident Alien Cards
You can show the following documents to prove that you are taking part in a government assistance program or use them as proof of active benefits:
- Statement of benefits from a qualifying Program.
- Notice letter of participation, such as an award letter
- Program participation documents, such as a screenshot from an online account.
- In order to show income, you can provide any of the following proofs:
- Unemployment Documentation
- Copy of your State or Federal income tax return.
- Three months' worth of current pay stubs.
- Veterans Administration or SSI benefits letter.
- A divorce decree or child support document that states income.
- Retirement or pension statement.
Need More Than Just One Line of Service or an Additional Phone?
EASY Wireless is a full-service cellular store that cares about all of your communication needs. We have a wide range of pre-paid plans for every budget and usage requirement. Also, we offer a selection of brand-name phones that combine quality, reliability, and the latest technology.
And that's not all – we also provide an array of amazing accessories to enhance your mobile experience. At EASY Wireless, we're dedicated to providing exceptional service and ensuring you find the perfect plan, phone, and accessories to suit your lifestyle and preferences.
Visit us for all your cell phone and wireless service needs today!