The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a government assistance program that can help you save money on water and wastewater bills.
In this guide, we will teach you everything you need to know about the LIHWAP application process, including what the program is, how to apply, and how to claim your government savings.
What is the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)?
The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a federally funded program that assists low-income households with water and wastewater expenses.
Provides Help for Low Income Households
LIHWAP provides crucial help to low-income families who spend a large amount of their household income on water utility bills.
Operators of public water systems or treatment works will receive funds from LIHWAP, which they can then use to assist qualifying households with past-due bills and future rates charged for services.
Goals of the Program
LIHWAP's overarching mission is to keep water running in low-income homes, with a focus on stopping service cut-offs and restoring water access to those who have lost it.
- You may be able to apply for assistance multiple times in your county until you reach the maximum award benefit cap for your account.
- Water or wastewater services not provided by a utility provider are not eligible for assistance through the LIHWAP program. You should reach out to your LIHWAP provider to inquire about possible assistance through additional grants or programs.
- Your local LIHWAP provider makes the payments on your behalf to your water utility company. Funding will not be paid directly to you.
LIHWAP Assistance is a Temporary Measure for Water and Wastewater Services
LIHWAP funds are not unlimited. It was set up during COVID as a temporary emergency program to assist eligible households cover their water service expenses.
It is important to apply as soon as possible for a LIHWAP grant.
- You must meet income guidelines
- You don't have to be on public assistance
- You can rent or own your home
- Income Requirements may vary per state check with your local LIhWAP program for income eligibility.
Proof to Submit
Each state may have different proof requirements. Some of the commonly requested documents include:
- Current Water Statement
- State ID Proof
- Proof of Income
- Current Wastewater Bill (if separate from your water bill)
Check out this short YouTube video for more information on the LIHWAP program and how EASY it is to apply!
Cut Your Water and Wastewater Bills Today!
Successfully completing a LIHWAP application can help reduce your monthly expenses, so don't wait any longer! Each state or Tribal Territory has its own office for processing applications.
Check the links below for applying through your state or tribal lands representative office. Applications can be filed online or by downloading a paper application and mailing it to the representative office.
Additional Ways to Save Money on Your Cell Phone Bills
Did you know your income levels for LIHWAP could also qualify for FREE Cell Phone Service with EASY Wireless through the Affordable Connectivity Program?
To learn more about how to eliminate your cell phone bill, click "What is the Affordable Connectivity Program?"
Don't Forget About LIHEAP
After applying for LIHWAP, you should also look into the LIHEAP program for assistance with heating costs. This program offers additional grants for routine and crisis scenarios. To learn more about this program, check out our guide, "LIHEAP Application – Reduce Your Energy Bills Today!"