Energy bills are skyrocketing. The good news is that the government has added over 100 million dollars to the national energy aid program called LIHEAP.
You don’t have to be a homeowner to get this aid; it is also for people who rent. You don’t even have to be behind in your bills to qualify. You just have to meet the income requirements.
This article will explain all you need to know to make a successful LiHeap Application in your state, along with quick links to help you start saving today!
What is LIHEAP and who qualifies for the program?
The United States is known to be a country of extreme weather conditions.
Recently, some parts of the country broke heat records with temperatures rising as high as 120F.
These high temperatures meant the risk of heatstroke and death was also high, especially for people who could not afford air conditioning.
On the other side of the coin, much of the country experiences extreme cold in the winter, and fuel bills during colds snaps can cause people to go into debt or go without other basics.
In both scenarios, it is the vulnerable communities that suffer the most.
LIHEAP is a government program that assists eligible low-income households with their heating and cooling energy costs, bill payment assistance, energy crisis assistance, weatherization, and energy-related home repairs.
The program is run by the Department of Human Services (DHS) and consists of three components which are:
- Cash benefits to help eligible households pay for their home-heating fuel;
- Crisis payments to resolve weather-related, supply shortages, and other household energy-related emergencies;
- Energy conservation and weatherization measures to address long-range solutions to the home-heating problems of low-income households.
- Homeowners and renters, including households whose cost of heating is included in the rent, can apply at the agency in their area.
- You may be automatically eligible if you are part of other benefit programs, including SNAP, SSI, and TANF.
To find out whether you are eligible, contact your state or tribal LIHEAP office.
For inquiries, the general public should use the public inquiry telephone number if available for their State or Territory. That number may provide the public information about the program much quicker than the agency number.
One of the things that should be noted when applying is that you must have several documents. These include social security cards for everyone in your home and a photo ID for everyone over 18.
You also need to show your income for the last month and a copy of your energy bill.
- You must meet income guidelines
- You don't have to be on public assistance
- You don't need to have unpaid heating bills
- You can rent or own your home
- Income Requirements may vary per state check with your local LIHEAP program to discuss income eligibility.
Households experiencing a heating crisis may be eligible for additional benefits through the LIHEAP crisis program. Emergencies include:
- Broken heating equipment or leaking lines that must be fixed or replaced
- Lack of fuel
- The main heating source or second heating source (a source that is used to operate the main heating source or used if the main heating source is not working) has been completely shut-off
- The danger of being without fuel (less than a 15-day supply)
- The danger of having utility service terminated (you've received a notice that service will be shut off within the next 60 days)
You can even save more with EASY Wireless and here is how
If you qualify for the LIHEAP you may qualify, through many of the same government assistance programs that qualify your household for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which will help you cover rising internet costs.
ACP is a U.S. government program run by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program to help low-income households pay for internet services.
You can get free internet and other mobile services with EASY Wireless via the ACP.
If you are on the LIHEAP and ACP program, you can kill two birds with one stone and save hundreds of dollars every year. This is money you can use for other pressing needs.
Why get connected with EASY Wireless?
Who said that free internet cannot be fast and reliable? With EASY Wireless, you will enjoy America’s fastest and most reliable network.
When you qualify, we will deliver a 4 G-ready universal sim cards with nationwide coverage. With our Unlimited Data Plan, you can pop it in your phone and stop paying cell phone bills today.
There are also easy upgrades for a one-time fee, no credit checks, no bills as well as unlimited talk and text with all plans.
EASY Wireless Free Unlimited Plan
- FREE UNLIMITED Data
- FREE Unlimited Talk
- FREE Unlimited Text
- Keep the Phone You Love
- Choose to Keep Your Number or Get a New One
- FREE SIM Card & Activation
There are a few ways you can qualify for this great program! One way is to be getting aid from other federal programs.
- Pell Grant Award
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
Almost half of all American households can qualify by income level alone. [Ma3]
To see if you qualify or to get your questions answered, enroll today! Join us on America's fastest and most reliable network.
LIHEAP is not a qualifying program for ACP so we can't make a direct connection. But you can say you qualified for SNAP to get LIHEAP and SNAP gets you ACP and that gets them to EASY Wireless.
Start Saving Today!